Tuesday, December 16, 2008

More thoughts on abstract art

I tend to ramble in areas I'm exploring and I had another thought to add to my blatherings on abstract art. I'm reminded of my college days when we would get together in small groups and begin down a long path of conversation knowing not where it would lead, but anxious for the experience of the journey. Lots of those conversations would end up at some wildly bizarre conclusion that made perfect sense to us, but would sound ridiculous to anyone who wasn't along for the ride. Imagine a statement like, "well of course boats were designed for security!" It might make perfect sense to you if you had been involved in the train of thought that preempted the conclusion. But stumbling in at the end leaves you both confused and a wee bit "left out".

Abstract art often does this very thing. And the fact that it does this is usually rationalized by the artist as being part of the experience they intended for you. But the truth of the matter is they can't or won't be bothered retracing the steps that brought them there. On top of that, they might even take pride and credit for causing this reaction to their piece. The trouble lies in the fact that their intentions probably did not include that reaction when they began creating it. But as I like to say, "what's a good day without at least one rationale?"

No comments: