Thursday, December 4, 2008

Keuka Lake Art sales still high


Last Summer I completed a painting depicting a historical look at Hammondsport and Keuka Lake. The color palette I used was inspired by paintings I have seen of a similar type and by the antique or "aged" look that is naturally conveyed by warm siennas and umbers. I included a few of the major points of historical interest such as steamboats, Glenn Curtiss' June Bug Aircraft, vineyards, the 115 year old bandstand in the village square, etc.

This, by far, has been and continues to be my most popular piece this year. The reaction was so immediate and overwhelming that, for the first time, I published it in an open edition art poster. The cost was low enough that I could offer it for $20 each. The original sold within two weeks of its completion to a couple from New Jersey. Even as our season slows down here in the finger lakes, this piece continues to sell on an almost daily basis both in the gallery and online.


I enjoyed painting in this style and colorway a great deal which is the biggest bonus! So much so that I'm planning a new piece this winter which will release in Late February.

No comments: